Cheesy Stars

Saturday, September 24, 2011
So I made these things thinking I would have something similar to goldfish crackers.. They were excellent, for about an hour, after that they belonged to Hank. 
Here is everything you need, simple enough, the recipe came from >HERE
The recipe calls for a food processor- which I don't have -so I did this:
This is a food chopper from Pampered Chef. 
You'll have to chop all 8oz of cheese (or put it through the food processor)
It should look like dust. 
I dumped the cheese dust into the mixer.
cut up 4T butter into cubes (then chop it too) it'll need to be good and cold or it will just make a mess
A pastry cutter would be your best friend right about now but I don't have one so I made do with a knife and threw it all into the mixer with 1C flour
This didn't quite do it
I used a knife and this was as good as it got
Add 2T cold water
Then you have to get your hands in there and get it into a ball-ish form, it should take shape pretty easily
Next you'll want to wrap the ball in cling wrap
Put it in the fridge for about half an hour, if you forget about it, that's okay, I did too.
When you suddenly remember that you had that cheesy ball thing in the fridge, go get it and unwrap it on a flat surface
Roll it out pretty thin
use a small cookie cutter, I have stars in every size so I went with that, if you're feeling creative you can make your own by slicing a soda can and bending into your desired shape
Start laying them out on a cookie sheet, you can use parchment paper or whatever, wax paper works too, its what I used (I don't like it though)
I made a LOT.. this is only the first batch
This is after 15 mins @ 350F 
this is batch #2 there ended up being over 700 crackers and I had leftover dough
here's some of them in a sandwich container. They were excellent for like an hour or so while they were still warm, after that they took on this weird texture like pie crust and I really just didn't like it. Hank on the other hand LOVES them. 
Here he is dancing for one
Can you see the crazy in his eyes? 
okay Hank sit. 
Down.
sit up
Do you want it, Hank? Speak.
Good boy! 


Happy Baking =]
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous Says:
Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I think you may have overworked the dough? And I can't be sure that "Cheddar melt topping" would perform the same as actual cheese in a recipe. But I'm glad to see someone try without a food processor, because I don't have one and am trying to figure it out myself!

SamRevel Says:
Thursday, January 12, 2012

I would go along with your cheese theory, however I'm slowly clawing my way out of "broke starving college student" status and entering the world of functioning adults and there was like a $2 difference in price, lol. Also, I recently found that I DO have a food processor, or at least access to one, it was buried in the bottom of one of my mom's cabinets and I was like OMG! I totally could've borrowed this... But I'm glad I was able to make them without it and I hope that my adventures sans food processor will benefit others. =]

Post a Comment