Cream Soda Mini Cupcakes

Wednesday, March 16, 2011
I got the idea/inspiration from >HERE< I didn't use the exact recipe and they turned out a little weird but as I've stated in past posts, I'm in it for the yummy, not for the pretty. These are going to an event for Habitat for Humanity tomorrow, I made them today because I actually have a life.. or at least for tomorrow I do, I have to run a couple errands before work and simply won't have time to bake anything. But back to the cream soda cupcakes.. I'm disappointed. They're good don't get me wrong just not.. what I thought they'd be. But I get to go through the rest of the day with the smell of vanilla extract all over me, and thats a plus =] here they are done:

And here is what went into the cupcakes:
Start with the butter (this picture is a lie you need 2 sticks) cream it until its creamy
Then add 1/2 C each white sugar and dark brown sugar
I got a little caught up in baking and set the camera down for a little while too long but in that time I added 3 eggs (beaten before adding), 1 1/2 t vanilla, 1 t butter flavor (found near the vanilla extract at the store), then alternated adding 2 C flour, 1 t baking soda, 1 1/2 t baking powder with the 1/2 C cream soda and 1/2 C buttermilk. 
And there you have your cupcake mix
Spoon into lined cupcake tin (I used minis) and bake 15-17min at 350F for regular cupcakes (13-15min for minis)
They're supposed to get a buttersctotch ganache filling according to the recipe I found but I didn't use it first off because I planned on adding some white chocolate to the butterscotch..
I mixed it into the heavy cream and everything seemed fine..
Then it seized and rendered itself useless. 
No worries, I'll just smoosh a butterscotch chip into each mini cupcake. 
I got three pie plates full of tiny cupcakes and had enough left over to make a small 6" cake
The icing was great, I added some butter flavor and vanilla flavor to it and I think from now on that's how I'm going to make all icing. I just made a simple frosting: 1 stick butter- softened, add powdered sugar and milk(I used heavy cream which I think was a mistake) until you reach the desired quantity and consistency, flavor with butter flavor and vanilla extract (about a teaspoon each).  I've never used this butter flavor stuff before but it is going to be a permanent addition to my pantry. Its that big of a deal. 
This is why I think the heavy cream in place of milk was a mistake. see how the center cupcakes are weird looking? Yeah. Otherwise though, great. 

Happy Baking!
Enjoy! =]

0 comments:

Post a Comment