Apple Pie Filling

Friday, March 11, 2011
The REAL kind =] I'm not completely against using canned pie filling if you're in a hurry or if you have some reason for doing so but I think that REAL stuff doesn't come from a can. I bought a bunch of apples (ok, three) not too long ago with the sole purpose of turning them into pie. One of them has since gone missing, I'm assuming someone ate it because they were awful big to just lose. Here is a guide to help you choose your pie apples, they're not ALL on there but it helps. Here they are done:
And here is what went into them:
Ok, thats a lie only the three apples sitting on top of the bag got used, the ones in the bag went back into the fridge, oh and I made some more pie crust this morning. The reddish apple is a Kiku apple and let me tell you, they are quite amazing. Also, if you have an apple peeler corer slicer from pampered chef I recommend using it, if you're like me and you've managed to lose yours over the course of the last three moves or simply never had one, not to worry you can do this:
Peel the apples, I used a potato peeler and it worked out pretty well
Cut out the core
Yay Cores!!
Remove any of the little seed pocket-y things
Slice and dice the apples all up into little bits and chunks
Hank(right) and Emmitt(left) thoroughly enjoyed all the scraps I "accidentally" dropped on the floor
Add 2/3 C sugar
Add 1/3 C flour
Add a few shakes of cinnamon, as much as you like really, about 2t or so
Stir it all up with a spoon or knife(to get the pieces a little smaller)
I decided to again go with tiny pie because they're amazing and adorable =]
This would work equally well with a full size pie, its just preference
I got a tiny star cookie cutter at hobby lobby =D
Brush with egg whites to get a shiny finish
Bake at 400F for 40min
And for those of you concerned about my health, I just want to let you know that I did eat something other than pie today =] grilled ham&cheese
Here they are all done, I think I filled them a little too high, see how some are bubbled over? Oh well, now we know better for next time. These were amazing. But then again I pretty much LOVE pie =]

Happy Baking!
Enjoy! =]

0 comments:

Post a Comment