Gummy Bears

Thursday, March 10, 2011
Gummy Bears(or flowers)!! Exciting right? I thought so.. I found the idea/recipe >HERE<
This is what I ended up with:

This is everything:
The candy molds came from Hobby Lobby aka the best store ever, I swear I could get lost in there for days. The oil is to wipe into the candy molds but you could also use a spray and would probably work better, more on that later..
First, empty the jell-0 mix and one packet of gelatin into a decent size bowl
Then swish it around until its good and mixed
Bring to a boil 1 3/4 C water
Wipe down the candy mold(s) with oil or spray then wipe excess (I recommend spraying, wiping them with oil didn't work out too well for me). Then pour the boiling water into the bowl with the jell-o mix and stir until dissolved
(more fun with photo editor)
Pour slowly into candy molds
Make sure to be careful or else you'll end up with a bloody massacre like this:
They're supposed to go into the fridge for 30min-2hrs until fairly solid
I was in a bit of a time crunch to get to work so I threw 2 trays into the freezer and one in the fridge to see if I could hurry the ones in the freezer along any (the answer is no, it didn't work, at least not in the time I had)
After a few minutes(long enough to clean up the red mess on the counter) the ones in the freezer started to develop a little ice-ish-ness (I am aware that that is not a word, deal with it.)
So I took them out and put them in the fridge before running out the door leaving
But not before scrawling a quick note for the family (no my handwriting is not usually that bad)
This stuff is the best thing known to the cleaning  world, it will take pravana (hair dye) off the walls of your shower and get (most) of the red food coloring out of the counters (not all, they're still somewhat pink- shhh!)
After coming home from work (3-ish hours later) and being delighted to find them undisturbed (thanks to my note =]) I began trying to get the gummies out of the molds. This was a little harder than I expected. I started by using a tooth pick to loosen the edges then separate them from the bottom, this seemed to work pretty well on the flowers
The bears were another story altogether and I'd rather not talk about it.. yeah, that bad. 
Note: there are 2 bears on the plate. The rest were forfeited after I destroyed and beheaded a couple in the process of getting them out. I also want to note that this is a little plate.
The roses were the easiest to get out and held up the best and had the firmest consistency
Here is another of the other flowers, there were three varieties in the non-rose tray. Overall they were decent but it will be a while before I try that again. I'm not a HUGE gummy bear fan so it wasn't entirely worth the effort for me, but my sister is visiting for spring break and I promised her gummies. 

Enjoy! =]

0 comments:

Post a Comment