Fudge!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011
YES! I made fudge! I know, I've been slacking quite a bit on posting since I started school but 40hrs a week there plus holding a job.. leaves little time to bake besides weekends, but I promise, this totally makes up for that. Anyway, this is one of those 'mishaps' mentioned in the blurb at the top of my page.. you'll know it when you see it. 
Here is my very end final result:
Again [like my last post] I apologize for not getting an out-of-the-pan picture.. but it pretty much all got eaten almost immediately. 
This is everything you will need.
Choose your pan and line with foil
This step is a pain in the butt, just saying. You can use any pan as long as theres room for all the mix, a 9in baking pan would also work.
put 5oz evaporated milk [NOT sweetened condensed milk], 1 1/2 sticks of butter and 3 C sugar into a large sauce pan and set stove until you get a rolling boil
Once you get a rolling boil keep it going for 4min
Remove from heat and add in 12 squares of baking chocolate
Add some vanilla
Then mix together
It'll get thick
This looks funny.. pour it into the baking dish
Yes, something is definitely wrong but what...
AW! The fluff! I forgot the fluff! DO-OVER!
Ok, this time I'm using the back burner to give me a place to work in front of it, also I noticed this time around that it needs to be on medium heat and that it requires constant stirring
So we stir..
I went ahead and unwrapped the chocolate with my other hand because I think it cooled too much the first go-around
I also decided foil baking cups in a muffin tin would be much less of a pain.. I was right.
Wow, constant stirring really does make a difference, so does med heat, I had it on high the first time.. oops, that'll teach you to pay attention to what you're doing
Heres that rolling boil, now set the timer for 4mins and continue constant stirring
DON'T forget the fluff! [1 1/2 C]
Get it good and mixed
Oooh, yeah, this looks much better
I made four varieties, the first with sliced almonds & coconut, the second has chopped walnuts, the third has peanut butter and last but not least, plain old chocolate. 
Top them off with whats left and I used colored toothpicks to label them. The first batch was still edible according to the family but I didn't like it, I could taste the evaporated milk in it and didn't like that. The second batch however, was AMAZING, and I'm not just saying that.. I'm really picky about my fudge and this was great. 

Happy Baking!
Enjoy! =]

0 comments:

Post a Comment