Oatmeal Cake

Saturday, April 16, 2011
Yes, I know, that sounds awful right? I agree. But after making this I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I have an uncle who loves oatmeal, it also happened to be his birthday yesterday. Unfortunately yesterday was kind of a really busy day for me, I had school and work then we all went out to dinner... There was no time for baking. So I promised him an oatmeal cake. I googled oatmeal cake recipes late last night and found >THIS< one. Here is how it turned out:
Here is what I used:
Ok, so not really, The heavy cream is just kind of there, I'm not sure why I pulled it out, it didn't get used. 
To begin with we need to boil 1 1/2 C water
Add in 1 C rolled oats (I'm not sure what that is exactly but I used oatmeal) and let it sit until you need it
Start by creaming together the (softened) 1/2 C shortening and 1 C sugar
Then add 2 beaten eggs
Mix well
Add 1 1/2 C flour and mix again
Add 1 t baking soda 
Add nutmeg. I ended up throwing out this entire batch and starting over when I realized my uncle is allergic to nuts.
Add the oatmeal
Mix it all up real good
Cut a circle(or square) the size of your baking dish out of wax paper
Place it in the bottom and grease the sides
Spoon in the cake mix
Bake 35min at 350F (for a small- 6" baking dish) If you're using a larger dish this could take up to 50min.
Peel off the wax paper
Cut off the dome-y part
I made a simple frosting, 1/2 C softened butter, powdered sugar and milk to consistency. I then added honey, about 4 T but probably more than that.
I used home made North Carolina honey from some friends of ours in Hayesville, the Hanolds. 
Mix it all up
Mmm =]
Frost level one
Add level two
And frost it as well
I just piled it on and let it drizzle over the sides because of its thin consistency
Make your sacrifice to the kitchen gods
It's all done! =]
I don't really care much for oatmeal so I'm not one to judge but another uncle (not the one the cake is for) was over earlier and I let him have some of the sacrificial crumblings, he pretty much devoured it. So, I'd say thats a pretty good indication of its yumminess. 

Happy Baking!
Enjoy! =]

0 comments:

Post a Comment